Glen Dene as it is known today is the northern portion of the original Mt Burke Station. It became an independent property in 1979 after a decision was made to split the property into two farms and farm them separately. Sarah, Richard, Georgie and Charlie moved into the homestead in June 2003 to be come the third generation to farm the property. George Burdon bought the original property in 1929 when he chose to be a “high country” farmer. During the same year, a start was made on the main road at Lake Hawea, which is now the Haast highway, the main road to the West Coast.
The property is bounded by Lake Hawea on the east, Lake Wanaka on the West, the Neck to the north and Mt Maude and the Lake Hawea Motor Camp to the south.
The homestead is located at the southern end of the property on the western shores of Lake Hawea. It has a magnificent outlook over the lake and surrounding mountains. The surrounding glacial mountains consist mainly of sharp, leading spurs and gullies. The highest point, Isthmus Peak is at the northern most end of the property and reaches 1,454 metres.